Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



jueves, marzo 22, 2012

Justice For Trayvon


Yes, yesterday's march is over, but the struggle about this case isn't over. Not yet. And now there is significance every time you put on that hoodie. When yo do that, you're Trayvon. And if you're walking in a neighborhood where somebody doesn't think you belong, you have the same risk.

I am waiting for the arrest, indictment and trial of Z. How long, one wonders, can he be permitted to remain at large, uncharged, given what we now know about his unprovoked shooting of unarmed T? How long do we have to wait for the arrest of Z, who apparently was the initial aggressor in this incident and was told by dispatchers to leave T alone?

I'm waiting. And I don't care how hot it is today, I'm going to wear my hoodie. Join me.

The latest from CBS is instructive:

As that tension rises, the co-author of the Stand Your Ground law, in effect since 2005, is now saying it may need to be clarified.

"Nothing's ever finished in the legislature, I learned that. Everything can always be re-addressed," State Rep. Dennis Baxley observed.

He told us the law wasn't intended to cover citizens who pursue suspected threats.

So is he willing to revisit the language in the law and potentially change it?

"We need to look at the circumstances that occurred and see if some kind of legislation is in order," Baxley responded.

Etiquetas: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bargersville Jimmy said...

I thought people in this country were innocent until proven guilty?

6:50 p.m.  
Blogger Bargersville Jimmy said...

I thought people in this
country were innocent until proven guilty?

6:51 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home