Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



lunes, enero 01, 2018

End The Death Penalty

Today is January 1, 2018. I haven't posted here in a long time, but today's New York Times Editorial inspired me. The Editorial calls for the abolition of the death penalty throughout the United States.

Here it is.

The arguments aren't new. I've been making many of them for more than 40 years. In fact, the Times has been making them for a long time as well.

It would be a wonderful event for the death penalty to end in 2018. I don't know that it will. It may die, as Justice Ginsberg has noted, less ceremoniously than I'd like. But I'll settle for that, too. I just want it to stop. How it ends doesn't matter to me. I doubt it will end in a Supreme Court decision, but my hope remains that it might.

You can help make this happen, each of you, in your own ways. Gifts to abolition organizations, writing, talking to friends, families, people who disagree with you. All of these can help. May 2018 bring an end to the barbarity of state killing. And may 2018 bring each of you health, joy, and abundant love.