Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



lunes, julio 21, 2008

100th Game Of The Season: Mets In First


Carlos Delgado. My Hero.

Tuesday evening the Metropolitans play the Philadelphia Philatelists in the 100th game of the season. The Mets are tied in first place with the Philanthropists, and both teams have identical records, 7 games over .500. The Mets are potentially a much better team than the Proctologists, but their season so far has been replete with underachieving, personality dramas, and lackluster, geriatric play. It's amazing that the team is in first place. In truth, with the exception of the last month, they've played like a third place, 4 games below .500 team.

And I have to say something about my aging hero, Carlos Delgado. I'm sorry I said mean things about him. He deserved it, but I'm sorry. In the past 10 games he is batting .471 and has had 16 hits. This is just excellent. And about time. His average is now up to .261 for the season, which gives you an idea of how extremely awful he was playing until recently. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when Carlos plays well, the Mets win. When Carlos refuses to get his shirt dirty and swings like an old man trying to kill cockroaches with a frying pan, the Mets lose.

I'm remarkably confident the Metropolitans will play well in the second half of the season. I know they can beat the Philadelphia Pachyderms in this series. Please, Carlos, don't prove me wrong.

Etiquetas: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We love Carlos Delgado! We used to see him and his buddies at the Metropolitan Grill in Seattle when he played for Toronto. And you are so funny.

I like that I have to interpret Spanish when I only know a little bit from visiting relatives in Argentina.

10:39 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home