Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



viernes, septiembre 30, 2005

Book of the Month!!!

This is a really big surprise, and I am really thrilled by it. Check this out!! Thanks to Red Maple Books and Nicole for this honor.

Permit me to demonstrate my abiding naivete. There are really two, distinct parts to being a writer. The first is the writing. And the second is marketing and selling books. I feel comfortable, even skilled as a writer. I am an utter beginner, a complete novice at the selling. There's already some evidence of this: The Dream Antilles is now ranked an abysmal #714,732 on Amazon for sales. That, my dear friends, means that it's not selling and that those books on diets, self help, celebrity marriages, self-help plumbing and tying trout flies are selling better than it. On the other hand, this may not be something bitterly to complain about: Jorge Amado's Gabriela, Cinnamon and Clove is ranked #354,422, Alejo Carpentier's The Lost Steps is ranked #187,413, andMarquez's Autumn of the Patriarch is #173,844. These are three extremely great books and I love them. They've all been around a lot longer than The Dream Antilles. The Dream Antilles was not released until July, 2005. So there can and should be hope that I will learn the second part of being a writer. But I hope you'll pardon me if I greatly prefer another idea, the idea that like Saraswati and Milagros I produce miraculous results in unexpected, untraditional ways. How else would you expect The Dream Antilles to spread across the world? How indeed.