Magical Realism, Writing, Fiction, Politics, Haiku, Books



martes, septiembre 27, 2005

What To Read Aloud And How Much

At the end of October and again in early November, it looks like I'll probably have some readings and signings. At least two, maybe three or four. All in the Columbia County, NY, Berkshire County, MA area. Details here when these are confirmed. But in the meanwhile, some questions for you, dear reader: How long should I read? And what should I read? And what else should I do other than sign books? You can post an answer as a comment here, or you can email or IM me. I know very little about "readings."

When I wrote The Dream Antilles, I didn't anticipate that I'd ever read it aloud to an audience. And, to be frank about it, it's hard for me to read it aloud even to my family because I start crying. It's not that it's a sad book; it isn't. Quite the opposite. So the crying is a little hard to explain. Especially to people who know me only as a crafty criminal lawyer now in his late fifties. I'm not going to try to explain it here.

Showing these emotions isn't altogether bad. I bought Victor Martinez's Parrot in the Oven: Mi Vida (1996), which won a National Book Award, because he was moved to tears in an NPR interview. And to tell the truth, I'm happy that my book still touches me so deeply. I can only hope it touches you, dear reader, as intensely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Este blog ha sido eliminado por un administrador de blog.

9:40 p.m.  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home